Skip to main content

My EFA Experiences

-->

My Teachers and my clasmates

Finally today is the end of semester for English for All Program (EFA) at Ohio University. For many people, today is the end of semester, but for me, today is the day that I will celebrate farewell party. I'm not a student. I just came to Athens for several months. At the end, it is difficult for me to say goodbye to Athens, friends, and my teachers.

I joined English for All Program since September 2012. It means that I already finish two semesters in this program. Since the first time I came here, I met new friends and new teachers. Last semester, I might not really close to all my classmates. We just met in class and did little conversation. We still keep contact on Facebook until now, even just comments a status or like a page. I also make a friendship with my teacher on Facebook, even though we never did lot conversations. Fortunately, I’m close with Jessica, one of my teachers. Once, she asked me to be her informant for her paper assignment. After that, we always say hello every time we met.

My second semester was started since January. The students from last semester took the same class with me, but there were many new students who just joined the program. If you compared to another class that had only 2 or 3 students every day, our class always crowded. I met new friends such as Ina, Tatiana, Gawlasyan, Helen, and Tugba. Among them, Helen and Tugba became my best friends.

Helen is a Chinese woman. Her full name is Helen Pang. She's very friendly. Because I thought that I was not good for starting conversations with the people that I just met, I was quiet in the class. Helen came to me and invited to discuss. She asked me about lesson in the class. Everything likes magic when I felt comfortable to chat with her. We discussed about anything beside lessons in our class. We became close friend. I made a friend with her on Facebook.

Helen, Tugba, and Me at Sakura Festival
Later, Tugba, a Turkish woman, joined us. She is a talkative woman. She always had topic to talk in our class. Helen, Tugba, and me attended many cultural events in OU. We went to international women's day, Sakura festival, and also Holi night. We became best friend.

The program was very flexible. Not every student came all days. One of my friends, Gawlasyan, just came on Wednesday and Thursday, because she has a young child. But the rest of students such as me, Helen, Tugba, and Tatiana attended class almost every day.

There were six teachers in my class. Three of them taught us in Monday and Wednesday, and the rests taught in Tuesday and Thursday. For Monday and Wednesday, Carly, Kristina, and Katie became our teachers. For Tuesday and Thursday, they will be replaced by Mary, Elen, and Ethan. They were good teachers. They taught us patiently.

Sometimes we didn't understand, but they always kept trying to explain the lessons. I believe that they faced difficulties to teach us because our mother languages are not English.

Today, we graduate. Finally, we finish this spring semester. We go to Baker Center for graduation. We get a certificate. I already have two certificates from this program. If I stay in Athens for many years and attend this program every semester, maybe I will collect many certificates. But, certificate is not the main point. The main point is friendship with many people. I’m so happy cause I met lovely friends and great teachers.

I will leave Athens soon. Someone told me that we never precisely predict what will happen in the future. Maybe someday, I’ll back to Athens and meet my classmates and my teachers. I believe there’s no an accident in this world. Every meeting has a purpose. Friends are those who meet us for a reason. They're meant to cross our path to enrich and to nurture our life with love and compassion to other people. Someday I’ll meet them for a specific reason. Maybe it is for love.


Athens,  April 28, 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips Memilih Majalah Anak Untuk Buah Hati

Menanamkan hobby membaca pada anak perlu dilakukan sejak dini. Kebiasaan membaca haruslah dimulai dari orang tua. Memberi akses pada buku-buku bacaannya salah satu langkah penting. Namun, membacakan cerita dan mendapatkan perhatian anak-anak merupakan tantangan tersendiri.  Ara dan Buku Bacaannya Saya mengalaminya sendiri. Ara (3 tahun) cukup gampang untuk bosan. Memintanya fokus mendengarkan kala saya membacakannya buku cukup susah. Pada waktu-waktu tertentu ketika dia menemukan buku yang menarik perhatiannya, dia dengan sukarela memintaku mengulangnya berkali-kali. Namun, ketika saya membacakannya buku yang tidak menarik minatnya, dia memilih bermain atau sibuk bercerita sampai saya berhenti membaca. Untuk menarik minatnya akan buku, setiap kali ke toko buku saya membiarkannya memilih buku apa yang ingin dia beli. Kebanyakan pilihannya ada buku cerita dengan karakter favoritnya, Hello Kitty. Untuk buku anak- anak pilihanku, syaratnya adalah ceritanya pendek, kalimatnya mudah ia paham

Tentang Etta

Aku mungkin terlalu sering bercerita tentang ibu. Ketika ia masih hidup hingga ia telah pulang ke tanah kembali aku selalu mampu menceritakannya dengan fasih. Ia mungkin bahasa terindah yang Tuhan titipkan dalam wujud pada tiap manusia. Tapi izinkan kali ini aku bercerita tentang bapak. Pria terdekat yang selalu ada mengisi tiap halaman buku hidupku.Pria yang akrab kusapa dengan panggilan Etta, panggilan ayah pada adat bugis bangsawan. Kami tak begitu dekat. Mungkin karena perbedaan jenis kelamin sehingga kami taklah sedekat seperti hubungan ibu dangan anak perempuannya. Mungkin juga karena ia mendidikku layaknya didikan keluarga bugis kuno yang membuat jarak antara Bapak dan anaknya. Bapak selalu mengambil peran sebagai kepala keluarga. Pemegang keputusan tertinggi dalam keluarga. Berperan mencari nafkah untuk keluarga. Meski Mama dan Ettaku PNS guru, tapi mereka tetap bertani. Menggarap sawah, menanam padi, dan berkebun. Mungkin karena mereka dibesarkan dengan budaya bertani dan

Misteri Sepatu Menggantung di Kabel Listrik

Sumber : Athens News Sepasang sepatu menggantung lunglai di tiang listrik. kabel listrik tempatnya bergantung kokoh tak ingin melepaskan sepatu itu menghujam bumi. Pertama kali tiba di Athens, saya cukup heran dengan sepatu-sepatu yang tergantung di kabel-kabel listrik itu. Kutanya ke seorang teman bule tapi ia tak memberi jawaban yang memuaskan. Kupikir sepatu-sepatu itu dilempar begitu saja karena sudah dirusak atau tidak dipakai. Atau asumsiku yang lain adalah sepatu itu milih olahragawan yang berhenti dari profesi dan memilh menggantung sepatu. seperti pemain sepakbola. Tapi sepertinya asumsi olahragawan itu tidak benar, karena sepatu-sepatu yang menggantung di tiang listrik cukup mudah ditemukan. Jalan-jalanlah di seputaran Athens dan kau akan mendapati sepatu-sepatu menggantung di tiang listrik.  Uniknya sepatu yang digantung itu hanyalah sepatu-sepatu kets. Fenomena ini disebut Shoefiti dan terjadi diberbagai tempat di Amerika. Nyatanya bukan hanya saya saja yang penasar